Washington National Cathedral
The Washington National Cathedral was first constructed in 1907 by President Theodore Roosevelt, who gave the ceremonial address and laying of the cornerstone. The first public service was in 1912 in the unfinished cathedral. It is of a Neo-Gothic design that is closely modelled to the English Gothic style of the late fourteenth century. The cathedral is the seat of the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church and the Bishop of the Diocese of Washington. The US Congress has designated the cathedral as the National House of Prayer. Today, it is still undergoing refurbishments due to the 2011 earthquake.