The neo-gothic architectural style bridge was built in 1869 and completed in 1883, by John Augustus Roebling and his son Washington. It is the first land connection between Manhattan and Brooklyn and runs 1,595 feet 6 inches (486.3 metres) over the East River. The bridge is technically a suspension bridge, which used a hybrid cable-stayed/suspension bridge design. The Towers were built with limestone, granite, and Rosendale cement. It was also built with many passageways for cars and pedestrians, as well as compartments in its anchorages. It has gone through several renovations built. It is a New York icon and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1964.