Bowood House and Gardens
Bowood House is a Georgian estate in Wiltshire owned by the Lansdowne family for over 260 years. It is 19 miles west of Bath and 97 miles west of London. The first house was built in 1725. In 1754, William Petty, or The Earl of Shelburne, purchased the estate and for his service in negotiating peace with America after the War of Independence, he was given the title the 1st Marquess of Lansdowne. It has since been passed down to his family. The house has undergone several alterations and additions. It hosts an award-winning garden, as well as one of the nicest adventure playground in the country.