Igreja de Sao Domingos
Built in 1241, the Baroque-style Igreja de Sao Domingos was once the city’s largest church. It was the home of the Inquisition and where Gabriel Malagrida, the famous Jesuit missionary who was executed for treason in 1761. Before Portugal became a modern republic in 1910, this church was famous for hosting royal weddings. Today, this is a National Monument. This church was destroyed completely by the 1755 earthquake. It was restored by 1807, but devastated again in 1959 by fire. It reopened again in 1994, and up until today there are still signs inside the church of destruction from the fire.