The Carmo Convent is a historical and religious building in the civil parish of Santa Maria Maior. It was founded in 1389 by the Constable D. Nuno Alvares Pereira the Supreme Military Commander of the King. It was built with plain Gothic style architecture typical foe the mendicant religious orders. By 1551, the convent took in 70 clergy and 10 servants. The 1755 earthquake destroyed a significant part of the convent and its library. Several restorations and renovations have taken place since then. The Carmo Convent is situated in the Chiado area, on a hill overlooking the Rossio Square and Lisbon Castle.