Limassol Castle is a medieval castle located close to the old harbour in the centre of the historical city of Limassol. It is believed to be built over an Early Christian basilica erected between 4-7th century AD, as well as on a Middle Byzantine monument around 11th century AD. It is interesting to note that underneath the castle is a church that is thought to be the city’s first cathedral. It is also believed that in this castle during the year 1191, Richard the Lionheart married Berengaria of Navare and crowned her Queen of England.
The original castle is believed to be built in the late 12th century. Until the 16th century, severe damages were caused by war attacks as well as earthquakes, which have led to continuous reconstructions and restorations. In 1538, the Ottomans took over the castle after seizing the city. After their acquisition of Cyprus in 1576, they destructed the castle and built a fort connecting and surrounding the remains.
Underneath the castle, the Ottomans built a chamber and used it as prison cells, which continued to be used until 1950.